26.2.03

books

As i'm not doing much, I thought i would write a bit on what i am am filling up my time with! No more reality tv for me, thanks, just some good old fashioned reading.

Glen reminded me of what a great writer Thomas Friedman was, so I picked up The Lexus and the Olive Tree from the library.

I'm working on E. Annie Proulx's The Shipping News which was a wonderful movie and now is turning out to be an excellent novel; as well as Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry. The same author wrote A Fine Balance, one of my favorites of all time, and though his writing is often sad it's always compelling.

I always want to re-read certain books, but I think my next choice will be Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. I don't know what all this writing about India is about, something about the language of these two writers, maybe the more formal yet still sensual or rhythmic stylings appeal to me more than most American authors--example the whole choke incident. I can't take a book that features an enema in its climax seriously. Maybe I just like stories that make me feel sad, because i'm usually so cheery? I was on the hold list for the hours, but was mysteriously booted off.

My favorite children's book recently: David Goes to School. Just look at the pictures and you'll see why.

Weather has been beautiful here, took a long walk on Sunday that included lunch at Harry's. They had the best Tom Kha soup, I was pleasantly surprised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home