18.5.03

News, Exciting News Here!

So many exciting things to share, dear readers. I have received a copy of The Crimson Petal and The White, a quite interesting book you should check out if you're interested in late 19th century prostitutes or if you were a fan of Manor House, this is a relevant read.

In more exciting news I bought a game cube, so I can play the new Legends of Zelda game on it. Yes I am a big fat loser, OK, I understand this now lemme alone so I can work the buttons right... Well it hasn't actually gotten here yet. I bought it on Amazon and you'll know when I've received it by another long absence.

And if you are a faithful reader you may know that long long ago I applied for a job to work as a corps member advisor at the Houston Institute for Teach for America. I did not, sadly, receive the position and so I put it out of my mind and decided to work on planning for the summer. Lo and behold, someone dropped out and who will it be to come to the rescue, none but your stupendous heroine herself, namely, me. So I will be in Houston all summer hopefully not too busy to continue to entertain with stories such as the one I am about to tell:

Kindergarten is at an end and we are busily preparing for our graduation this Thursday. Each teacher shall prepare her or his class with a poem and a song to be recited before the diplomas and awards are handed out. Our class' poem is quite cute, it goes like this:

Now I know my ABC's, colors shapes and days.
I sang some songs, learned some poems, rhymes and fingerplays.
I played outside on sunny days and inside when it rained.
My little hands and feet were busy every day.
My teacher was Ms. Yang, I kept her on her toes.
She tied my shoes, combed my hair and even wiped my nose.
But now it's time to say goodbye to all my kindergarten friends.
School is over, summer's here, but learning never ends!

Ah, but cruel and cunning Ms. SAT is back in the picture folks. It has been confirmed she is not returning next year, so we all assumed she is out of the picture. But her merciless ways never cease to amaze me. Her class has not really practiced at all for the long and complicated graduation ceremony as attested when we practice together in the afternoons. Up until last week her class had barely memorized their poem or song, much less the ones we recited as a group. One day I went to use the phone in the office next to her class to call a parent; wasn't I surprised to hear her class reciting their poem, just as usual, but with a new addition that goes: Ms. Williams was my teacher, she tried her very best, and so on and so on. The nerve! The sheer audacity!! Isn't it bad enough she created all of the "student" work displayed in her room? Isn't it bad enough that her children cannot recognize numbers past ten? Isn't it awful enough that she steals supplies, portfolios, even observations from fellow teachers from which to plagiarize? Oh the humanity! I fear that too many stories like this one seep out however, while the good ones remain quietly, uninterestingly abandoned in the corner.

Which is why I'm proud to announce that my OTHER fellow kindergarten teacher Ms. EEL (extremely efficient lead teacher with the acronymicly-unfortunate pseudonym) has just won the Master Teacher Award for our school and our School won the Trailblazer Award out of half the schools in Atlanta. So go us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home